When tenants move out, you never know what condition the apartment will be in. From minor cleanup to major repairs, it can be a pleasant surprise or a frustrating nightmare. Some tenants care for their apartments and will do a thorough job of cleaning. Others can leave behind a big mess.
The professionals at Charter Construction Group have seen it all and know what it takes to get apartments market-ready fast. We start with an apartment turnover cleaning checklist to make sure units are in tip-top shape, so you can start generating income again as quickly as possible.
Apartment Turnover Cleaning Checklist
An apartment turnover cleaning checklist should include all the items you need to address before new tenants move in. Here are some of the key items you need to check off.
The first item on your checklist will be the initial inspection to identify what needs to be repaired. Checklist items include:
- Checking for cracks, leaks, or water damage
- Making sure appliances work properly
- Evaluating toilets, bathtubs, showers, sinks, and cabinetry
- Making sure electrical components, outlets, and switches work
- Checking the operation of windows and window treatments
- Identifying any necessary repairs, such as rotted wood or damage
- Checking the interior of cabinetry
- Checking water pressure and making sure utilities work
- Looking for any signs of insect damage or infestation
- Inspecting balconies or patios for any damage, making sure any exterior light fixtures work
Inspections can sometimes uncover other problems, such as mold, mildew, structural damage, or hazardous materials that require remediation.
General maintenance needs to make sure everything is in working order for the next tenants, such as:
- Replacing air filters in HVAC units
- Replacing burned-out light bulbs
- Tightening or replacing loose hardware
- Making sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms work properly, replacing batteries as needed
- Perform landscape maintenance (if applicable)
Depending on the condition of the apartment, you will likely need to do some repair work. Anything identified during the apartment turnover cleaning checklist inspection will need to be addressed, including:
- Patching walls where needed and repainting
- Cleaning or replacing carpeting or flooring
- Repairing or replacing appliances as needed
- Repairing or replacing fixtures as needed
- Changing the locks
If tenants left anything behind, you will need to remove it and document it. Depending on state and local regulations, you may be required to provide notice before selling or disposal.
- Removing trash and debris
- Thoroughly cleaning kitchen floors, cabinets, and appliances
- Thoroughly cleaning bathrooms, floors, toilets, vanity, sink, bath, shower, and surrounding areas
- Cleaning and disinfecting surfaces
- Cleaning, vacuuming, and sweeping floors, shampooing carpets if necessary
- Removing any marks or scuff marks on walls and doors
- Dusting baseboards and window sills
Getting Apartments Market-Ready
Vacancies and turnovers can be costly, so the sooner you get your apartment units market-ready, the sooner you start generating income. There is a cost to fixing things and cleaning, which may or may not be covered by any security deposits. There is also the loss of income while an apartment is vacant and the expenses you may still have to pay, such as utilities, until new tenants move in.
Working with an apartment turnover service will provide the fastest, most efficient, and most thorough apartment rehab for show-ready rentals. Even small defects can turn potential renters away. Something as simple as a dirty counter or a cracked light switch may make potential tenants worry about bigger issues that are not as obvious. You need to work with someone that sweats the details without spending your money on things that do not matter to tenants.
Charter Construction Group will work with you to develop a customized apartment turnover cleaning checklist that meets your standards and alert you to any defects or deviations that require additional care.
Charter Construction Group: Apartment Turnover Service
Charter Construction Group handles everything for you from start to finish. From preparing the checklist and working through the items to hiring and managing construction crews and workers to get do what needs to be done.
With deep relationships with professionals in nearly every rental market nationwide, Charter Construction Group has skilled workers that can handle your apartment turnover service in short order and do it at scale. This lets you focus on day-to-day business and lets Charter Construction Group worry about the details.
Need apartment turnover service to get your units market-ready fast? Call Charter Construction Group today at 866-268-1632 or request a consultation online.